Life Support: Inspiration. Recipes. Lists.

5/21/12

Pressure of Perfection:

Ever since Finley was born I have had this overwhelming feeling of trying to capture and document everything  perfectly.  Perfectly is where I am getting hung up and is causing this crazy, no good, unnecessary anxiety. I am so inspired by other beautiful blogs, but that inspiration turns to frustration when I realize I don't always have the skills to match my vision.  I am a visual person and I look at everything in my life as a blank canvas. Everything.  I can't just do I have to do perfectly and when I can't get it perfect I get discouraged and frustrated (cue crazy,no good, unnecessary anxiety). I want gorgeous pictures to go along with all of the wonderful daily happenings, but I am a total beginner when it comes to photography. I am learning as fast as I can, but as I learn I feel like time is slipping away and well Finley isn't always in the most photogenic moods....


I think the real root of this feeling though is that I am just scared.  I am scared that I might only be able to live this dream once and that it is going to go too fast.  She will only be little for so long and I want to make sure that I capture every moment, since this minute, hour, day won't last.  Not sure how to shake this feeling....but here is what I think will help.  I make lots of rules for myself and one of the rules that I made up was that each blog post had to have a picture.  While I still think pictures are super important for preserving memories, so are words.  I am going to try to post everyday, even if it is only one sentence and even if there isn't a picture to go along.  I know a year from now I will appreciate reading about our time together.  I know I will post more if the pressure is off for each post to be perfect.


Deep breath.  Here's what I have concluded. Time is going to go on as it always has, Fin is going to grow, but instead of dreading, worrying and stressing about it, I am going to enjoy each minute and record each day right here.

5 comments:

  1. Don't worry about perfection with a blog! You are doing this blog for YOU. It's not suppose to be this magnificient art project. It shouldn't be perfect. All you are doing is capturing Finley and the FAB Ylisto life. It IS perfect, Amber...just the way it is. Everytime you post something... ANYTHING, it is PERFECT because you are posting something about your life. All these mormon mom blogs we look at seem PERFECT, but they have other agendas with their blogs. They're getting paid through sponsorships and what not, that's not your motivation- is it? I think your blog is so cute, so fun, and REAL. Keep taking pictures of Finley all the time, everytime... play with your camera, it comes with a billion different features...and when you get those perfect pictures...frame 'em! But the blog is for photo dumps, how you are feeling, and a great way for ur long distance friends (ME!) to stalk your adorable family. So stop being anxious and post more Finley movies!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all I LOVE your blog! I think you are doing what's best for you and your cute family to keep this "history" or journal. I know I've gone back on my old blog posts and was so glad I had written them- picture or not- or even bad picture. In the end it really is just for us. I even used to get frustrated no one was leaving me comments but I've stopped caring because it is my journal, my thoughts, my memories. For me and my family. (Did you know you can turn blogs into books? I've only had time to finish one but it is one of my most cherished possessions- even if in my opinion the pictures are awful! And yours are NOT!) Which brings me to this- I know how you feel. There are so many blogs out there to envy with beautiful pictures and eloquent writing... and it sometimes gets me frustrated. It's one of the things that drove me to learn photography- to document my children's life in the beautiful ways that other people seemed to be doing. . So don't give up just yet. You are so so talented. And picture or not, I will still read your blog :) I love reading about Fin and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And P.S. how cute are your "letters to Finley"?!? I wish I would have thought of that!!! She will CHERISH those as she gets older!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leslie, thanks for that. You're right, I even told myself that I would not get too caught up in making things pretty and perfect and just record. Don't worry I am totally devoted to this blog, it is one of the most exciting projects I have dedicated myself to in awhile. I am so excited about it and having a place to keep memories. I am happy to have a couple readers too, it's great motivation! More movies of Fin to come...I am working on a real tear jerker right now LOL. Thanks for being such a great friend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marissa, you have been such an amazing inspiration to me in so many ways! Not only is you blog unbelievably lovely, you are such a lovey and wonderful mother and wife. I love reading your blog, it is so honest and genuine. I can't believe you only learned about photography a few years ago! Girl you have some crazy awesome talent! You truly are one of my favorite photographers and I hope that someday we will be lucky enough to have you take some pictures of Fin. Thanks for the encouragement! Oh and yes I did know about the blog/book thing. It is one of the reasons that I wanted to blog in the first place. I hope to make "Letters to Finley" into a book each year and a book of our life.

    ReplyDelete