Life Support: Inspiration. Recipes. Lists.

6/13/12

Letters to Finley: Great Grandma and Great Grandpa Bray

After visiting with friends and family in New York, you and I flew south to Kentucky.  People always ask me where I am from and while I have lived in lots of different places, I lived in Kentucky the longest, so I claim it as home for now.  Maybe someday Savannah will feel more like home, but I doubt it. I always say home is where your mom is and my mom and grandma live in Kentucky! I love flying home. When you are landing, you can see all of the horse farms and horses.  It just feels like only home can feel. Your Aunt Kylee was at the airport to pick us up.  She was so excited to see you again.  She is one of your biggest fans! She took us to your great grandparents house.  I was so excited to see them and for them to see you! I'll never forget the grin you gave Pawpa and how you immediately took to Grandma.  It was a "melt my heart" moment.  Kylee captured a few fuzzy pictures that I will treasure forever. 


Your Great Grandpa and Great Grandma Bray are extraordinary people. There are not too many like them. Everyone who meets them, loves them and it is because they have super powers.  Their super powers are unconditional love and the ability to make everyone they know feel special and important. They are sincere and genuine in all that they do, and they are constantly doing for others.  Your Great Grandma told me a secret while we were there. She said that she doesn't like pie anymore!  Imagine that! How can you not like pie?!"  She said it because she makes one or two a week (not for herself, but for others) and she just couldn't eat it anymore.  She has made so many pies, that she is tired of pie.  I am pretty sure I would have to eat 1 million pies before I would be sick of pie, so you can only guess how many she has made, it has got to be close to that.  If she knows you, she knows your favorite pie and she will make it for you, mine is coconut cream and hers is the best.  Of course she made me one while I was home, as well as a cheesecake.  I felt special when I ate the cheesecake.  I felt important when I ate the pie.  We stayed the night at their house and in the morning Pawpa made his signature biscuits and gravy.  There are not too many things that I can think of that are better than waking up in their house and having Pawpa cook breakfast while chatting with Grandma.  It was so great to see them and to see them with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment